Monday, June 17, 2013

a woman's prerogative...

Hi Dr. ***, Michelle Bellerose here.... I have some questions regarding the further imaging we agreed to that I'm hoping you can address...

To reframe here, I'm the patient pursuing alternative treatment strategies with an interest in diagnostic information and surgery, but not chemotherapy or radiation.

To review... we have some concern that this breast cancer is not a primary lesion, but in fact a secondary site of another cancer. To date we only have inconclusive biopsy results and are waiting for two more receptor tests. We are also still waiting on lab analysis of the lymph biopsy. The first question I have is, could this breast cancer be a Triple Negative Breast Cancer and not a metastatic tumour?

After doing some research on MRIs, CAT and bone scans.... I feel the two latter tests should really be reserved ONLY once a) the lymph node tests positive for malignancy AND b) an MRI shows indication of tumour activity somewhere else in the body. Until those conditions are met, these two tests, I believe, will expose me to unnecessary levels of radiation at a time when my body needs its best integrity and wholeness.

While we're certain of a malignancy in the breast that's been growing in size, we haven't yet been able to discern for certain how much of its recent growth might've been due to hormonal changes of my menstrual cycle affecting the cystic components... I got my period right after the initial biposy and consult with you, and cysts normally decrease in size after the start of menses.... I would like to be re-evaluated with another ultrasound in two weeks at the nadir of my cycle so that we can compare the measurements and get a better handle on how "aggressive" the growth of the tumour component really is.

I also wanted to ask, if its a foregone conclusion that surgery, either a lumpectomy or mastectomy, are in my best interests, is there anything to gain, waiting another month until my scheduled reassessment and consult with you on 11 July 2013? As I first mentioned, even if I am internally _riddled_ with cancer, I will under no circumstances take the course of chemo or radiation, so perhaps we can avoid unnecessary expenditure of tax dollars on tests and cut to the chase here...

So to summarize, I am requesting...

a) the scheduling of an MRI as quickly as possible (this has not yet happened because of some administrative glitch, I've been assured I should be getting notification of an appointment soon but I would appreciate it if you could make an enquiry as to what the hold up is....)

b) the scheduling of a mid-menstrual cycle ultrasound anytime July 1, 2, 3....

c) a consult with you right after this second ultrasound in the hopes of fast-tracking to surgery, should this be desirable

d) and the putting on the back burner for use only under exceptional circumstances, the bone and CAT scans....


Could you please give me a call back or drop me a line letting me know if you can help me modify our plans here...? I do appreciate your help in tailoring the usual procedures to reflect my wishes, and as I said at our first meeting, these are not choices I've undertaken lightly and I take full responsibility for my health, healing and any and all outcomes...

With my best respect...

No comments: